Pages

Sunday 7 November 2010

castle museum conclusion.

The initial objects I studied in the Decorative Arts Gallery at the Castle Museum were the selection of 17th century delftware tiles. Arranged in a grid system behind glass, the white tiles with painted blue imagery looked charming and intriguing. The Dutch tiles are practical and decorative for walls and fireplaces and originated from Holland. However, after a few days of drawing the tiles, I decided my subject was a bit limited. Therefore, instead of just focusing on the tiles, I looked at all blue and white china throughout the decorative art gallery. Now I wasn’t so restricted with the subject and found a range of blue and white china to work from. I experimented with my drawing styles but restricted my colour palette to blue and white to reflect the china I was working from.
I found various books in the library about Delft blue, the history of tiles and also the blue and white porcelain. I also got the chance to study the blue and white china in the Study Room at the Castle. I spent three hours solidly drawing jugs, plates, cups and patterns. I found this beneficial as I was the only person doing this. So my work not only reflected the Decorative Arts Gallery, but also hidden pieces from the study room. I now know it’s important to question and ask about certain objects in museums because the pieces they have hidden and stored away are just as interesting as the things they have on display. If I ever have the chance to do this again I definitely will.
I was encouraged to look at the shape of the object I was drawing not only the pattern within. This helped develop lines and shapes I later translated into pattern work. The idea of looking through windows or the handles of the jugs also restricted my drawing style to a particular shape and I think I produced some unique drawings that I would never have thought I could create. My confidence with my drawing has grown considerably over the past few weeks and I think it also helps when I manipulate them digitally on the computer. I can develop my drawings using programmes such as Photoshop and Illustrator. I like to experiment with my work to create interesting drawings or patterns. I have a past in Graphic Design but I have never before been able to apply these skills within my textiles work. I have really enjoyed this, and I think experimenting with the digital printer and my manipulated designs in the future should be beneficial to my work. This digital technique also applied to my final conclusions.
I chose the Interior market to produce my final outcomes. I visited Clement Joscelyne (The Granary) in Norwich to research. I collected a number of wallpaper catalogues for reference and to inspire. I chose four collections to work from; two by Cole & Sons, Eijffinger and Designers Guild. I chose to study four as I couldn’t decide on three! I studied their catalogues and looked at the layout and structure of each design, the layering and linking of pattern and the colour palette. I then produced at least two designs influenced by each collection. I adapted my drawings from the Castle Museum to hopefully suit each quality and trait of the contemporary collections.
Looking at my designs think they’re quite successful. But I honestly don’t think I can tell unless they were printed larger and displayed on a wall. The detail is intricate and some colours subdued, and printed onto A4 white paper doesn’t do the designs much justice. However, I am happy with what I have achieved and I think my designs, with further development, have potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment